So, the exams have come and gone, and so let the inevitable postmortem begin in earnest. While the maths student will be awaiting his results until Monday at the soonest, I got my English results on Wednesday night. I scored 79% overall. I haven't quite managed to shake off the totality of the disappointment that may or may not have been justified in the first place, but open a deeper dissection of the results, there is actually some cause for cautious optimism
For those who read my last blog, the structure of the English exam is already familiar but for those who didn't (I can only assume you were comatose or battling an alien invasion at the time) the layout was straightforward, there were 4 questions and without going into detail on what they were, questions 1 and 3 were quite rigid in their format, not allowing for a great deal of freedom or expression. 2 and 4 on the other hand did allow for that expression, with 4 being an essay on the question of "Does a longer life lead to a better life". I scored much more highly on 2 and 4, the essay in particular as it was a very nebulous kind of question that was open to a lot of personal interpretation and allowed one to infuse a lot more of their own opinions, personality and style of writing into their work. We face another barrage of exams in mid May, and we were informed on Wednesday night that these exams will be a lot more geared towards questions like 2 and 4, allowing more freedom. With that in mind, I will be looking to improve on my score come May.
In addition to getting our results back, we were also given a brief outline of what faces us this coming term. The brunt of the work will center around two poets, Wilfred Owen and Sean O' Casey, particularly the latter, as we will be asked to give a 10 minute presentation on an aspect of O' Casey's life or work in front of the class, which should be a lot of fun (sadly, my request to give my presentation on Einstein's theory of special relativity was turned down). Still, should be fun.
So, signing off with this admittedly rather threadbare blog, which is only the case because that was literally all we did in English this past week, the maths student will be here on Monday with inevitably better results than I have, and until then, I've been the English student, and I'm apparently not doing so good at it. Goodnight :)
No comments:
Post a Comment