Pages

20 December, 2011

The Dark Knight Rises Trailer: My Thoughts

Let me begin this by saying that I think Christopher Nolan is the closest thing humanity has to a God. The man's directoral record speaks for its self. Very few directors ever manage to craft a masterpiece in their career. Christopher Nolan is 41 years old, has yet to make a bad film, and already has two masterpieces two his name. One was the best film of 2010 and one of the greatest films ever made, perhaps the greatest, Inception. And the other was The Dark Knight. The Dark Knight Rises is the sequel to The Dark Knight, and the first full trailer for it was released quite recently. Here are my thoughts on it.

Short Version: MUST. SEE. NOW.

Long version
The trailer starts off on a decent enough note, young boy singing the american national anthem, setting the scene, kinda chilling, good so far, we get a nice shot of Bane, Michael Caine gives his customary monologue, more heartfelt than his previous ones, as he laments on his inability to protect Bruce Wayne. From what, we may ask? From The Joker? From the backlash of Gotham? From Bane? From himself? Questions abound. We also find out that Commissioner Gordan has fallen out of favour with the powers that be, and will be given the boot, as Gotham enjoys a period of peacetime. Anne Hathaway looks good as we get our first look at her portrayal of Selina Kyle, better known as Catwoman. For me, the trailer has two real highlights, both coming one after the other. The first is a majestic set piece, showing the destruction of a football field, in what is one of the greatest shots I think I've ever seen, that I really can't do justice to with words, it needs to be seen. The other is the moment that I knew that Bane was going to be a great villain, which comes directly after. It features Bane, standing over Batman, who is unmasked by the way, looking down at him, and delivering his only line of dialogue from the trailer: "When Gotham is ashes... you have my permission to die". That was the moment when I felt that Bane was at least as intimidating as The Joker, if not more so. This is the hero of the story, seemingly beaten down by Bane, who then says "Only after I destroy everything you hold dear, after I obliterate everything you stand to protect, then, I will allow you to die". It's immensely powerful, and downright terrifying, as Bane asserts his dominance over the knight. And that I think is the most key difference between Bane and The Joker, Bane is dominant over Batman. The last clip at the end of the teaser trailer added to this as well, as we see Batman really on the backfoot, not afraid, but completely at a loss, his posture almost screaming out "I can't win here". That's what makes Bane more intimidating than The Joker in my view, while The Dark Knight centered around Batman trying to figure out how to stop The Joker, the two trailers seem to be hinting at Batman coming to grips with the fact that maybe he can't stop Bane.

The Dark Knight Rises is due for worldwide release in July 2012. Do. Not. Miss. It

No comments:

Post a Comment