Pages

13 December, 2013

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: The Review: The endless sequence of colons: Here's another one:

So, following the head crushing success of the Lord of the Rings trilogy and coming off the back of part 1 of the hobbit film, I mean, two-part film, I mean... trilogy, here we are with the Desolation of Smaug and... why are you looking at me like that?

Alright, so I haven't posted a blog in almost 9 months, I never got around to declaring the winners of the BWAP awards, and I'm sure all those who were nominated have just been wetting themselves desperate to know who took home the platinum galaxies orbiting my head in real time that I have decided the BWAP awards trophies look like, I've just been really... really lazy, and kind of busy, but if I'm being mostly honest, it's mostly lazy. But fret no longer internet, the prodigal son has come home, so let's do something nice and familiar before we dive, head first into the vat of awesomeness that is the future projects that I have in store right here on Ph.D.

So, The Desolation of Smaug. I enjoyed the Lord of the Rings films immensely, I think they rank among some of the highest achievements in the history of cinema, certainly in terms of raw scale and size, in addition to being very well put together, immaculately cast, visually stunning and boasting perhaps the greatest music in the history of film. They also made quite hilarious amounts of money, so I suppose it was really only a matter of time before New Line cast there all seeing eye (see what I did there [and indeed, there?]?) on Tolkiens other, though not quite as famous opus, The Hobbit. After part 1 avoided any real trip ups last year, despite not being all that memorable (as evidence by the fact that I can't remember much about it), part 2, The Desolation of Benedict Cumberbatch, was released today. So, was it any good? Yes. Yes it was. Thanks for joining me here on Ph.D and I will see you guys next time...

Alright, alright, a little more information might be necessary. The Hobbit: The Unblocking of Clog is most definitely worth a watch, it's well acted throughout, it's well paced, it's exciting... but it missteps in the most curious of places. Strangely enough, TH:TDoS suffers from... poor visuals. Now, to qualify that statement a little, I don't really mean poor of course. What I mean is relatively poor, it's not in the same league as Man of Steel for example in terms of pure visuals, and even the Lord of the Rings films, now more than 10 years old, have it beaten visually (in addition to all the other ways). The Orcs look strangely computerized, and there's a strange sense that it's missing a certain... Hollywood sheen. Now, to be totally fair, this may very well have been the fault of the 3D that was my only viewing option, so really the jury is still out on the visuals until I see it on DVD, but tonight at least, it was quite jarring, and it took a solid hour to really get used to it. Not that length was something The Hobbit: The Resurrection of the Blog was short on, it runs a formidable 2 hours 41 minutes, but it's to the film's credit that it never feels that long, it's well paced throughout, there was never a scene during which I felt bored, even if newcomers Tauriel and Bard are a little underdeveloped to really carry the few scenes that they're asked to.

The biggest exception to my gripe regarding the films visuals is without a doubt, the appearance of Smaug, voiced by sexiest man alive, Benedict Cumberbatch. Smaug is an incredible cinematic achievement, and more than deserves the near 5 hour build-up preceding his appearance. Cumberbatch is an inspired casting choice, blessed with a voice that can go from soothing and soft to the pants-crappingly evil growl possessed by Smaug. The final few scenes before Smaug appears are breathtakingly tense, and the dragon utterly dominates the last 30-40 minutes of the film, which can only be a good thing.

It's not without fault, but The Hobbit: Ground and Pound on the Lonely Mountain Fountain is an improvement over it's predecessor, and sets things up nicely for the third installment, The Hobbit: What Are We Going to do After the Dragon is Dead?

Overall: 74/100

No comments:

Post a Comment