I used to be a big fan of WWE. I actually started watching it just a few short months after it became WWE, august of 2002. And though our love affair couldn’t last, I do find myself wandering back every few years to see what Vince and the creative team have been cooking up recently. I try and make a point of watching Wrestlemania every year, and though I don’t always succeed, when I heard what was going down at Wrestlemania XXVIII, I knew it was something I had to see. No, no, no, I’m not talking about John Cena vs. The Rock, nor CM Punk vs. Jericho, nor the ridiculousness that was the 18 second long match between my fellow country man Sheamus and Daniel Bryan. No, the match I had to see was Triple H vs. The Undertaker, inside Hell in a Cell. And I was not disappointed.
We’re almost three months on from Wrestlemania and my current spell of Wrestling watching has endured, so I figured, hey, why not write a blog about it, you haven’t done one of those in a month and a half, you lazy bastard. And so I got to work, because there are a lot of things I’d like to go over.
No Way Out
I don’t think N.W.O (wink wink) is shaping up all that badly. Some of the feuds haven’t been hyped all that well, but the matches themselves have a lot of potential:
WWE Divas championship
Layla (ch) vs. Beth Phoenix
The Divas division isn’t exactly flying high right now, in fact it really seems that WWE doesn’t care about it at the moment. However, Layla and Beth are definitely the top 2, and if they’re given some time, they can definitely put on a great match. My prediction: Layla retains, and the feud continues until at least Money in the Bank, possibly Summerslam
WWE Intercontinental Championship
Christian (Ch) vs. Cody Rhodes
Goddamn, give these guys the time and this match will steal the show. Christian and Cody are two of my favourite superstars right now, they’re both great on the mike, and their ring work is second to very few. Here’s hoping this feud continues a while longer. This might be just wishful thinking, but if WWE start pushing Ziggler for the Intercontinental title, can you imagine a triple threat match between Ziggler, Cody and Christian at Summerslam for the strap? Match of the year candidate, in my opinion, if it was done right. As for N.W.O, my prediction: Christian retains
World Heavyweight Championship
Sheamus (Ch) vs. Dolph Ziggler
These guys can put on a great match, but considering Ziggler has been confirmed to face Sheamus for less than a week, the odds of Ziggler winning the title are basically nil. Sheamus works great for a big guy and Ziggler almost always puts on a great match, so this should be a good one, but honestly, my prediction: Sheamus WILL retain
WWE Championship
CM Punk (Ch) vs. Daniel Bryan vs. Kane
This match has been built up extremely well in my view, I love the Punk/Bryan feud, I’ve always loved Kane, and I love how well AJ has been utilized in the middle of the whole thing. Put it all together, and you have what really should be a great match, there’s no reason it can’t be, and given that it’s triple threat, and given the unpredictability of AJ, you have a match that its self is hard to predict. In terms of the match its self, it’s hard to know how the technical styles of Punk and Bryan will mesh with the brute strength of Kane, but Kane has been involved in good matches with Punk and Bryan in the run-up to N.W.O so I’m not too worried on the score. I would say Kane will spend sometime incapacitated so that Punk and Bryan can grapple uninterrupted for a bit to satisfy the wrestling purists such as myself. As for my prediction, honestly… I’m picking Bryan. I think the whole AJ thing will be some sort of bluff and AJ will end up siding with Bryan. The whole thing could backfire and AJ could end up costing Bryan the title, but I don’t think so, then you just end up with Punk as champion and Bryan mad at AJ, which has already been done over the last few months. So Bryan narrowly gets my pick, perhaps setting up the feud to continue until Summerslam. My prediction: Punk hits the G.T.S on Kane, AJ distracts Punk allowing Bryan to sneak in and pin Kane
Steel Cage match
Big Show vs. John Cena
-Sigh- Credit where it’s due, big show has been well developed as a heel on this occasion, he’s destroyed everything that has got in his way, and he’s genuinely very threatening at the moment. And as for Cena, I don’t love him, nor do I hate him. He’s charismatic, no doubt, but he’s just not that good in the ring. And neither is big show. And this is the problem: this probably isn’t going to be a good match. It’s got the build-up, it’s got a lot riding on it (spoiler: Someone named John will be fired) it’s got everything… except the superstars. Cena is capable of having terrific matches, no doubt about it, if he is put against the right opponent. Look at his matches against people like Triple H, against CM Punk, against Shawn Michaels (although to be fair, Shawn could wrestle a broom and it would still be a match of the year candidate) Cena can have great matches, but he’s not a guy that can carry another guy to a great match. Put him against the big show, and honestly, I just can’t see it being a good match. I also can’t see Cena winning. I don’t think WWE are ready to off John Laryngitis just yet. There has been speculation about some sort of Laryngitis/McMahon feud going into Summerslam, perhaps they’ll do something with that, but I don’t think the time is right just yet. Cena won’t lose cleanly (losing to the rock at Wrestlemania was the first time Cena lost cleanly in about 5 years) there’ll be interference or something to keep Cena looking like superman, but he will probably lose. Perhaps big show then goes after the title or whatever, while Cena takes a hiatus. My prediction: Cena is about to escape but Laryngitis or David Otunga or someone pushes him back in to the cage, and big show hits the WMD (probably the least creative finisher ever, a punch, seriously?) and pins him or walks out the door, probably the latter.
And that’s N.W.O, I’ll talk about different things over the next few days, and I’ll be doing a full review of N.W.O as soon as I can download it, probably in the middle of next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment