Pages

15 September, 2011

Introductions

Upon self-reflection, it came to my attention that if I was to create a blog, as i have been considering doing for some time now, there was little chance of being able to sustain it on one particular subject without losing interest. They say that it's good to appeal to a niche, but after all, what good is appealing to a niche if it is one that you don't feel a part of yourself. I could blog about religion or philosophy or science or slightly more mundane, though in no way ignorable subjects such as films, music, and gaming but I couldn't see myself getting further than a month or two before losing my resolve to sustain this blog. So I thought to myself, why restrict oneself to one subject, why not talk about all of them. So, let this then be the beginning of that endeavour. It was the poet William Cowper who first wrote "variety is the spice of life". So I shall put this age old idiom to the test, and see how it holds up to a little 21st century scrutiny.

"Who are you, and why should I care", you may well ask. Well, I am little more than the average specks of carbon that you see going about their daily business, often with little regard to the grave matters that no doubt will be reflected on at some point in the undetermined future of my, as of now, publicly accessible musings. What I would hope to offer is little more than something to think about. Something that sticks in your mind. Something that makes you question that which you may have long perceived as fact, makes you examine your own position on deep issues, particularly those for which you regard your mind completely made up on. What I personally want is nothing more than to have some outlet for my own thoughts, that very often other people have little regard for, people who want little more than to survive another day without having to reflect too deeply on their own thoughts, feelings and perhaps most of all, their flaws. I don't claim that this is in anyway a contemptible disposition, indeed it is a feeling that I have often felt myself. But more often that not, I find that I need something a little more intellectually and emotionally stimulating. And I hope that in the course of this blog, that I shall find those who think similarly.

No comments:

Post a Comment